We needed to do a high key assignment for Advanced Color Portrait, so I asked Jamie, who I knew from Hall Council, if she would be interested in being a model. In the meantime, I’m stil having some trouble with the hot shoe mount on the Rebel XS not wanting to trigger the flash, so I need to test that out and see if that’s related to the camera, the mount, or the sync chords. Luckily my 30D has it’s own spot for the sync chords.
On a side note– unless you want to strip out the background in Photoshop, High Key is best done with three, not two, lights.
Flickr Slideshow: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbibb/sets/72157626543798520/show/
For advanced color portrait we needed to take pictures of high school seniors. Both to fulfill the class assignment and to get examples for my senior portraits business I’m starting up, I took pictures of four seniors for free, giving them one hour each for shooting (both inside the library with my alien bee lights and outside) and 10 fully retouched photos on a disk for them to print as they like.
Flickr Slideshows: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbibb/sets/72157626340368366/show/
Today in class, Professor Schmidt took the class outside around campus with two Q-Flashes (one for a soft fill, and one as a hairlight) and a bunch of pocket wizards (so a lot of flashes ensued). Pictures were taken in various areas and students were swapped out as models. The main problem was getting the flash to show up in the pictures. Raise the flash, less recycles and more chances of missing the shot with so many people shooting.
These are the Front of House and Production Photos that I did for University of Central Missouri’s theatre department and for my Editorial class. The play was Lost in Yonkers.
Flickr Slideshow: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbibb/sets/72157623500748428/show/
Our first assignment in Creative Photography was self-portrait work. I decided I would make digital manipulation my key focus. So I set up studio in the currently empty other half of my dorm room using two Alien B400 lights and a grid spot, along with a piece of red fabric safety-pinned to the curtains, and took various pictures. Most of them were shot with a continuous shot ten-second timer. Several of the base photos turned out blurry, but after a couple shots they finally came out right. I also took several photos of my laptop. Then, in order to get the “fish-in-the-net” photos, I asked my boyfriend for help holding me- and giving me a chance to take up random poses. Granted, the expressions on my face wasn’t entirely an act, since being held precariously over a desk isn’t exactly my favorite thing to do. In the end some of those poses helped for the “falling-into-the-laptop” pictures, as well as the one where I am coming out of the laptop’s portable hardrive. It was a fun shoot, and I think the results turned out interesting.
This was a set I originally shot for Editorial class, but didn’t quite fit the assignment. It was spawned by the quote that surrealism is “a soda can and an umbrella on a disection table” (unfortuanetly I don’t remember who said it). Regardless, I had fun with this one. Shot with two profoto lights. Some of the shots were shot with a lensbaby lens.
Slideshow of more photos on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41674422@N08/sets/72157623302254354/show/
For Christmas I got a nice Alien Bee light set, two B400 lights, a set of four grids, two umbrellas, a hotshoe, and two lightstands. Today I’ve added the Flickr feed to the blog, so you’ll be able to see my most recent photos. I’ll add more photos later, including ones I took for a family during January.
EDIT: These are some of the family photos I took over Christmas Break.
See Flickr Slideshow