A cover for Melange Books. For this cover, we tinkered with a few ideas before finally settling on the current design. While I initially searched out models on Dreamstime, the publisher suggested that Romance Novel Covers might have the particular type of character we were looking for. I went through the site, selected a few I thought fit the art form’s description of the character best, and tested them in the proof until we decided this one worked best. I gave the city a night glow, and this is the result:
And the back cover option, including the text provided for the spine and the ISBN/publisher information:
Stock images from Dreamstime:
Model image from : http://www.romancenovelcovers.com
This is another cover for Melange Books.
Putting this cover together was a doozy. While many of my previous covers have been 2-4 stock images, plus textures, this is an example of using digital manipulation to create an entirely different character. Take a look at the different stock images used, then look at the final product. The palm tree was shorter, the pirate consists of several different stock images, a bit of photoshop to make him look angrier, plus doing the color changes and removing the trinkets in the hair. Plus changing lighting. So if you like seeing how you can piece-part an image together, this is the one to look at.
Overall, though difficult to make sure everything was placed as desired, this was a nice review to photomanipulation for creating a new image. 🙂
This semester I’m enrolled in both Business Management for Photography and Digital Portfolio, which is essentially a web design class. The important part is that I’m in the process of forming a business plan (both for illustration and for portrait), and I’m developing a website that will eventually be the hub of this process.
However, I’m also looking into other marketing strategies. I plan to use this wordpress blog to reveal behind the scenes info, I intend to make a business page on facebook to do both promotions and sneak peaks of upcoming illustrations, and I intend to continue using Flickr to showcase a large variety of photography, since my main website will act as a portfolio.
One thing in this process I’ve started is to create a Cafepress shop to sell my personal illustrations as posters, t-shirts, journals, tote bags, and other miscellaneous items. Problem is, I’ve got to figure out how to market it. I’ve considered using Google’s Adwords, but I’m not quite sure that’s the method I want to use. For now, have a look:
The color themes temporarily match the upcoming website theme, and hopefully I’ve got it nicely categorized for customers to search through. In the meantime, I’m trying out Google’s Analytics tool to see if I can see any trends in traffic.
I’ve finally started using DeviantArt again to promote my work. Though I figure it will take a while to actually acrue any sort of large following to successfully sell prints, I think it could prove useful for gaining comments on photos I have taken as well as my manipulations, along with serving as fresh inspirations for new photos. Below is a link to my account, along with a screengrab.
For our third assignment in Creative Photography, I decided to keep with digital editing, only this time go with heavy manipulation. Anthropomorphic animals have always seemed neat to me, so I decided to try crossing pictures of people with pictures of animals (Most of the animal pictures were pictures I took at various zoos last year, with the exception of the seagull wings and squirrel). I also played a lot with the Highpass and Shadow/Highlights filter, along with texture and blending mode filters.
Flickr Slideshow: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbibb/sets/72157623451511227/show/
In the Creative Photography class we had a class period to shoot panoramas – at which point I decided to use panoramas for my next assignment- with a twist: They would be digitally manipulated. I combined multiple photos in some cases, did a bunch of retouching with others, and played with filters and highpass and digital painting in yet others. It was a fun assignment, and these are the results:
Flickr Slideshow: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbibb/sets/72157623329694599/show/
Our first assignment in Creative Photography was self-portrait work. I decided I would make digital manipulation my key focus. So I set up studio in the currently empty other half of my dorm room using two Alien B400 lights and a grid spot, along with a piece of red fabric safety-pinned to the curtains, and took various pictures. Most of them were shot with a continuous shot ten-second timer. Several of the base photos turned out blurry, but after a couple shots they finally came out right. I also took several photos of my laptop. Then, in order to get the “fish-in-the-net” photos, I asked my boyfriend for help holding me- and giving me a chance to take up random poses. Granted, the expressions on my face wasn’t entirely an act, since being held precariously over a desk isn’t exactly my favorite thing to do. In the end some of those poses helped for the “falling-into-the-laptop” pictures, as well as the one where I am coming out of the laptop’s portable hardrive. It was a fun shoot, and I think the results turned out interesting.